Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A year


A year ago my brother and I had spent the summer fixing up my ancient hip-roof barn in anticipation of having a huge halloween dance party. We strung the entire barn with lights, built a bar, a food station, a fire place, and a dance floor. I found the lumps in my breast early that October.  I gave them a couple of weeks to go away on their own and then I went in for all the tests and biopsies.  I had the biopsy done on a Friday and we had that party on a Saturday.  My breast was still bleeding from the biopsies and I was terrified that the results would come back cancerous on Monday, but we had that party and it was awesome!  Fast forward to this October.  Even though we moved, our old house hadn’t sold, so we went back for one more halloween barn party.  If I could have seen one year into the future last year - that I wouldn’t have hair, my body disfigured, and that I had a port in my chest - it would have been the worst thing I could ever think of. But, looking BACK at the year with these things is a different perspective - and I have come so far and been through so much.  And we had this halloween barn party again.....one year later......and it was awesome!! :)

Dave and me last year

Will & James & me

My barn! <3




Josh & me this year



So, today was mammogram day.  I have been dreading this. When I got there, my hands were actually trembling.  I was bracing myself for bad news, even though I really have no reason to.  But in all fairness, it is crazy that I had so many unexplained tumors in my breast last year.  So, I stressed.  As I was signing in at the front desk, I heard someone call my name behind me.  It was my friend who I mentioned in a previous post!  We were actually scheduled for our post cancer diagnostic mammograms on the same day and same time!!!!!!!!!  I was never so happy to see a friendly face!  The mammogram was scheduled first.  I did not want to have that much pressure placed on my reconstructed breast!!  She assured me that it would be fine.  So, I had the images taken on both breasts.  Since there is absolutely no feeling or sensation in my left breast, there was no discomfort with the mammogram on that side.  I just closed my eyes tight.  On my right side, my chemo port is in the breast tissue, so it has to be mammogrammed, as well. UGH!  Again, I closed my eyes and held my breath.  It was over in no time.  She sent the images to the doctor and sent me back to the waiting room in my purple gown.  My friend was there and we probably chatted away a whole hour together……..so thankful for that distraction while we both awaited our results. It's so funny that I wanted someone with me that day and I got my wish!!! :)  I finally got called back to meet with the doctor.  She did a manual exam and then an ultrasound of both breasts and lymph nodes.  Everything looked GREAT!  I got a clean bill of health!  She does recommend that I have an MRI just to be sure.  I will call about that tomorrow.  My friend got good news too! :)

Sweet Elizabeth Wende purple gowns

No comments:

Post a Comment