Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Rrrrrrrr! :(

During my last chemo, I met with the physician's assistant and the oncologist and they both insisted that my ANC (white blood count) was so incredibly high (30, with a normal range being 4 - 11) that there was no way it would go low enough to need Neupogen shots in between.  Dave and my nurse insisted that I should get my blood checked in between just in CASE it went low.....because I really don't want to have to miss a treatment and have this take longer.  If my ANC is higher than 1.5, I can receive chemo.  There  was some pushback by the physician's assistant when Dave and my nurse asked if I could have my blood checked today (Tuesday) prior to chemo.  They were thinking, just in case it goes low, I could get a Neupogen shot and maybe have a chance at chemo the next day.  They let us schedule it, but still insisted it wasn't needed because there was no way it would go low after being that high.

So, guess what?  I went in for a blood draw and waited while the results came back.  It was ZERO (0.8).  I should have guessed because I have been beyond exhausted and I always start losing my voice when I go low.  I got a Neupogen shot and chemo is supposed to be first thing in the morning.  I will start with a blood draw in the morning and see if my ANC can get up over 1.5 overnight.

Trying not to stress.....because I just want to stay on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment