Monday, October 31, 2016

Ummm, my eyes are up here!

I had just been telling Dave how much I liked the woman surgeon we met with because I felt that she understood me better.  Dave said, "Well, a woman might be able to empathsize with  you better, but a guy knows what a good set of t*ts look like".  Thus began our first consult with a plastic surgeon - Dr. Andrew Smith at RGH.

I'm looking at two options for reconstruction.  The first option is that they place an expander behind my chest muscle during my mastectomy (or mastectomies).  Then, for approximately 2 months, I go in every other week and they put a needle into it to fill it slowly with saline.  Once it gets to the desired amount, I would go back in for surgery to replace it with implants.  The other option is to get a tram flap.  This is where they cut a giant section out below your belly button and use it to construct a breast.  You get a little tummy tuck as a bonus.  Nipples could be tattooed on later as they have their own artist on deck - and we got to see the pictures.

The plastic surgeon, Dave, and my naked self had all these discussions.  They were all talking about my breasts as if I wasn't there....it was just them and my boobs.  I actually didn't know where to put my own eyes, so I joined in and looked down at my breasts too.  Then the surgeon looked at my lower abdomen to assess if I'd be a candidate for the tram flap procedure.  Turns out, and I don't know if this is a compliment or not, I don't have "a lot to work with".  So, I could have either  2 B-sized breasts  or 1 D-sized breast.  And he says the tummy tuck wouldn't even make much of a difference on me.  I was like, "Dude, it's Halloween and I plan on eating all my kids' candy once they fall asleep, so give me a chance to grow a saggy tummy that you can work with."  That wouldn't even be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment