Tuesday, November 1, 2016

PSA for all my women friends

Here's your PSA for the day.  If you are of the age of getting mammograms and they tell you that you have dense breast tissue, get an ultrasound.  By NYS law, when you have dense breast tissue, it is covered.  Dense breast tissue makes it hard to see tumors in mammograms.  Mine were not located by the diagnostic 3-D mammogram, they only saw the tumors on ultrasound.   And they only saw 2 tumors on ultrasound, while MRI showed 4 spots.  If you're dense, don't be dense - just do it!  I'm going to sell that slogan.  (And buy some new boobs). :)

We met with 2 more surgeons this afternoon:  Dr. Chris Caldwell and Dr. Ruth Hetland.  Both were amazing.  Both had the same message for me as Dr. Mederios.  I defintely need a mastectomy.  I can decide I want a bi-lateral mastectomy just for symmetry on the reconstruction.  Having a double doesn't necessarily drop my percent chance of getting breast cancer - mostly because I'd be watched very closely and I'll most likely be on Tamoxiphen.  I loved Dr. Caldwell and Dave loved Dr. Hetland.

Next step - making an appointment for a second opinion on a plastic surgeon.  Thinking Dr. Stephen Vega in Pittsford.

No comments:

Post a Comment