Wednesday, November 16, 2016

So frustrated!

If I was the crying type, I would be sobbing.  It's been almost a month since my diagnosis and I still do not have a surgery date.  This is becoming hard to bear.  I have mentally prepped myself for this over and over and....nothing.  It is emotionally exhausting me.

Dave flew out this morning.  I went back to Pittsford to meet with Dr. Vega this afternoon.  He recommends getting the mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction all in one surgery.  He believes that this is the best course of action, even when given the information from Cleveland Clinic.  He will gladly do it the way Cleveland recommends, but he gave several points on why it is the wrong course of action.  But......because he knows that Dave has been questioning it, he is gently pushing me to do it in two surgeries.  The only problem is that he would not reconstruct my breast for at LEAST 6 months to a year after the mastectomy.  He will not do another surgery until the first one is healed.  I can't have this drag on for a whole year.  I can't live with only one breast for over a half a year - even if I have an uncomfortable expander inserted - which I don't even know if he does.  And even if I decide to have both surgeries at once, he cannot get me scheduled until January.  For now, they took me off the surgery schedule.....so I am in a holding pattern.

BTW - I loved Dr. Vega.  I think he and Dr. Hetland would make a great surgeon team. I trust them both.

Dave will try to call him tomorrow to ask his questions.  In the meantime, he is still checking with Cleveland Clinic to see if a) they accept our insurance, b) they have any surgery dates available, and c) if they would do the 2 surgeries closer together if I don't need radiation.


No comments:

Post a Comment