Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Back to work

I had follow-up appointments with Dr. Hetland and Dr. Vega this week.  Here's the scoops on both:

Dr. Hetland -

  • Said I did not have lymph node dissection in my arm, so there are really no restrictions on me using my arm for fear of lymphedema
  • Mentioned that there might be concern of tumors in my right breast since so many were found during surgery on the left breast  (I am choosing to NOT think about this at this point)
  • Chemo and Tamoxifen would reduce tumors in other parts of my body
  • Next appointment in 6 months unless I need surgery for placing the chemo port in my chest
Dr. Vega -
  • Said I am healing FAST and nicely, because I am so young (and it never gets old hearing that)
  • Gave me permission to drive (Yay!!) and straighten my body (Yay!!) and lay flat in bed (Yay!!)
  • Gave me permission to return to work Feb 27th, but only half days for a week while I build up my stamina again.  She says I am going to be exhausted with half days and I don't doubt it.  I'm exhausted just taking a shower!
  • I need to wear sports bras for the next 2 months and no underwire for a full year
  • Reconstructed breast needs time to "settle" and form a natural breast shape
  • Up-coming surgeries to consider, in this order:  surgery to make both breasts the same shape and size, nipple reconstruction, tattoo work to make sure new nipple matches the other,  "tummy tuck" work on my sides so my new flat stomach doesn't end so abruptly
  • I can resume some exercise if I take it easy, but should not be lifting very heavy things (such as our kids)
  • Next appointment in 2 months
In the meantime, we are waiting for Dana Farber (cancer center in Boston) to call us for a 2nd opinion on the need for chemotherapy.  Also - and this is GOOD news - the oncologist, Dr. Kamath, was able to send ALL tumors in for the oncotype tests and it's all covered by insurance.  At least, that's what we think her voice message indicates. I am choosing to believe that.

It's sunny.....I can stretch......I can go back to work .........and I can drive!!!!!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment