Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Plastic surgeon

I had an appointment with the plastic surgeon today.  I am not allowed to have any more surgeries while I am doing chemo and until my white blood cell count returns to normal.  That is usually 4-6 weeks after chemo ends.  So, my hopes of getting this last surgery done over the summer just vanished.

It also means that I have to have this port through the summer.  I can have it taken out as an "office procedure", but the doctor told me if that freaks me out - and it DOES - that she can do it during my upcoming surgeries.

I have to have a lot of cosmetic stuff done.  It's certainly not a priority for me right now.  I haven't looked at myself in a mirror in many months now.  I have to have my breast sizes equaled out, add a nipple, and fix the area on my stomach from the transplant.  He was hesitant to talk about how that would all get accomplished.  He says that most people gain weight on chemo, so I would want my weight to be back to normal before he proceeds.  So, at this point, if I can keep on the chemo schedule and finish by the end of June, I can schedule an appointment with the plastic surgeon maybe during August.  The surgery would then take 2-3 months to schedule.  I was hoping this stuff would be done before the start of a new work year.  Nope.  But, this surgery sounds like it won't be a long absence and I'll be up and around in no time.  I think - HOPE - that surgery is my final step of this journey.  I cannot wait to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment