Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Chemo port surgery

I do have to have a chemo port put in my chest.  Surgery is scheduled for Friday morning.  Dave left Monday and wasn't able to make it home yesterday/today because of the blizzard that we got.  He is now due back at 1am on Friday morning.  If his flight is delayed, I'm driving myself to surgery and he will just have to retrieve me when he gets in.  I spoke to a friend who also has a port.  I've been thinking this is a quick and painless procedure.  She told me she was very sore afterwards and to ask for pain drugs before I go home.

 I was supposed to go in to the oncologist today to get height/weight taken so they know the drug dose.  I couldn't make it because they were closed due to the storm.  Therefore, I have to race out of school tomorrow to try to get there before they close at 4:30.  I also have to pick up my anti-nausea and numbing cream at the pharmacist.

On Monday I have to have the echocardiogram because these chemo drugs can be heart damaging.  They need a baseline on my heart.

On Wednesday, I am starting chemo.  Dave's mom is scheduled for surgery the same day, so I have to ask if I can do this solo.  If they won't allow me to, I have a friend on back-up.  It's supposed to take about 2 1/2 hours.

On Friday, I have to go back for an injection of Neulasta.  That's an injection that I will have to get 2 days after each chemo dose.  It will help me rebuild white blood cells.

I'm bummed with the amount of days I have to take off of work for this week.  I'm stressed out of my mind about losing my hair.  I have another friend who is willing to be on-call to buzz my hair off when it starts falling out.

I have three children's books about cancer and chemo and hair loss to start discussing this with the boys.

I ordered my head scarves and vomit bags.

Stress is really ramping up right now......hoping that in another month I will be in a level place again. One that I'm back in control of.  Feeling very out of control right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment