Wednesday, March 1, 2017

New oncologist

Dave is back to traveling this week and I am back to work full time.  While I'm thrilled to be back, it's seriously kicking my butt. I have become so out of shape!!  By the time I arrived at school on Monday, my arms were trembling.  I was dead in the water by lunchtime.  I collapsed on the couch when I got home.  Tuesday was a little better.  But today every muscle in my abdomen is screaming.  I'm not used to the stairs, walking, and stretching my stomach skin.  Even my badge and keys on my lanyard hitting against the front of me hurts.  Two more days.....

This afternoon I met with my new oncologist in Brockport.  Dr. Jessica Kleiner.  I really liked her.  She was able to explain the reasoning behind the protocol of only having one tumor tested.  It is believed that all the tumors are from the same breast cancer, therefore, they should all come back with the same oncotype.  She is curious to see if they do, and now, so am I.  The oncotype number will either be low, intermediate, or high.  If it's low, chemo will not help prevent future cancers.  If it's high, chemo will help to prevent future cancers.  If it's intermediate, it's a gray area and all your personal choice.   Of course, she predicts that mine will be a gray area.  So, I may have to determine if it's worth chemo to have a 6% extra chance of still being alive in 10 years.

She wasn't as alarmist as the first oncologist.  She does not believe that I will need an aggressive chemo.  She thinks I could be considered for 12 weeks, getting chemo every 3 weeks....and that it can be administered through an IV in my arm.  She says it is a more mild chemo and won't burn my veins.  So, now back to waiting for the oncotype testing to come back.  One tumor result is due March 8th and the others are due March 10th.  I am now even more interested in a 2nd opinion at Sloan!

In the meantime, I have surgery scheduled for March 17th for the port placement.  It's a one hour, same day surgery.  Hopefully I get to cancel that.

I also have a long overdue hair appointment for a cut and color on March 14th.  If I'm going forward with chemo, I'll have to cancel that, as well.  No need to spend money on my hair if I'm not going to have it after 2 weeks.  I've been looking at wigs.  It's a bit overwhelming.


No comments:

Post a Comment