Sunday, January 1, 2017

Up in the Air in the New Year

The phone calls from Dr. Vega continued into Friday evening.  He apologized over and over.  Dave pressed them to keep the surgery on the 12th and cancel their "out of town" trip on the 13th.  Dr. Vega/Dr. Harvey are leaving on the 13th for a conference in Hawaii. Dave looked up this conference. As it stands, their conference ends on a Tuesday in Hawaii.  They would travel home on Wednesday.........and then he would be doing my 5 hour surgery on Thursday.  Also, he is probably beyond frustrated with Dave and me.  Not looking forward to going under that knife.

We called Dr. Hetland Friday evening.  By the way, she is amazing.  She often answers her own office phone and she will make late return calls and spend time answering all our questions.  She apologized for the surgery schedule mishap.  She believes another week won't make a difference with the cancer issue - but understands how I would be upset having had my mind set on the original date. Her schedule can accomodate an earlier surgery date, but Dr. Vega's schedule is really booked.  The surgery scheduling center does not re-open until Tuesday.

The last phone message from Dr. Vega on Friday was the kicker.  He said he was willing to clear his schedule of any surgery to accommodate an earlier surgery for me.  An earlier surgery date would mean THE FIRST WEEK IN JANUARY.  I never called him back.  I don't know how serious he was.

In the meantime, I'm freaking out that I might be in surgery this week. I'm freaking out that I might have to wait 3 more weeks too.  My type A personality is not adjusting to all this uncertainty.  So, I'm a complete wreck.  I stopped all my vitamins and any other meds I might take.  I have to be off of everything 1-2 weeks prior to surgery - nothing can thin my blood prior to micro-surgery.  And since I really have no idea when my surgery will be, I'm just trying to be prepared either way.

Seeing the psychologist tomorrow.  Thankfully.  I hope she's carved out 5 hours for me.

Current status:  No definite surgery date.


No comments:

Post a Comment